Plus Our Top 10 Articles Of 2022, This Week’s Recruitment Roundup, Structured Notes, M&A In UHNW Tailored Insurance And Your Chance To Be Heard
To My Fellow WSR Community Members:
Just before the dotcom bubble burst, I remember having dinner with professionals from a variety of backgrounds who were absolutely convinced that we would all be multimillionaires popping Champagne in Battery Park within two to three years. Their eyes lit up as they described dreams eerily similar to the lotto ticket buyers of the latest Mega Millions runup. Sometimes logic is banned from the dinner table.
The latest crypto moonshot and bubble burst felt the same way. That’s not to say cryptocurrency and the blockchain technology that power it aren’t disruptive technologies that could change the world – the jury’s still out – but nothing in the word “disruptive” indicates low volatility or ease in picking the right investment.
Today we bring you expert views on the pitfalls and shortcomings of cryptocurrency – and how your compliance officer and service providers saved you from the worst of the disaster. We also bring you the top 10 stories from 2022, our Weekly Recruitment Roundup, a potential alternative to alternatives, M&A in the UHNW tailored insurance space and a chance for your voice to be heard in the wealthtech arena.
This Week’s Issue
Here’s what we have for you this week:
- How intricate can dealmaking get? In Newsmakers & Roundups, our latest edition of the Weekly Recruitment Roundup covers a few multifaceted deals that companies announced at the start of the year. Prime Capital Investment Advisors added Stonnington Group and Earth Equity Advisors. Alera Group acquired Summit Group and Walsh & Nicholson Financial Group through The Ascent Group. And Fountain Financial Group joined Pinnacle Asset Management, a partner of Raymond James Financial Services.
- What’s worth remembering about 2022? Last year brought significant growth to the Wealth Solutions Report audience, as we covered trends and developments affecting the wealth management industry from almost every conceivable angle. Thank you for your support. Also in Newsmakers & Roundups, here are the Top 10 WSR Stories Of 2022, listed in chronological order. From how interest rate hikes are impacting M&A and alternative investments, to our Pathfinder and Exemplar Awards, we hope you enjoy this quick look back.
- Is cryptocurrency digital snake oil? In the Digital Domain, Megan Horneman, CIO of Verdence Capital Advisors, demonstrates that the recent crypto bubble follows the familiar outline of historical investment bubbles and debunks 10 frequent pro-crypto arguments.
- Is there an alternative to alternatives? In Investment Solutions & Gatekeepers, David Townsend, the Head of Product Marketing and Thought Leadership of Halo Investing, describes the uniqueness and advantages of structured products including their potential upside, fee transparency and reduced complexity.
- What’s the latest move in UHNW tailored insurance M&A? In Capital Connections, we cover AXG Advisors’ acquisition of Pennsylvania-based Rose Glen, led by Morey Goldberg. AXG Advisors is led by its co-founders George Papanier and Adam Pauska. Both firms provide wealth solutions to UHNW clients and families through insurance vehicles for wealth preservation, transfer and accumulation.
- Did compliance save countless firms from crypto disaster? In Beltway & Beyond, our Expert Columnist, Compliance & Regulatory Affairs, Sander Ressler, presents the results of WSR’s crypto survey and reviews the role compliance played in mitigating the crypto disaster in wealth management, along with insights from Mitch Avnet, Managing Partner of Compliance Risk Concepts; John Gebauer, President of COMPLY; and Robert Cruz, Vice President of Information Governance at Smarsh.
Be Heard With The T3 Survey
I will be a panelist at the T3 Conference this year and hope to see you there! Our friends at T3 are conducting their annual survey together with Inside Information, inviting every advisor and advisory firm to participate. It’s your opportunity to give feedback on over 300 programs in 38 categories, which will be compiled and announced to the planning and advisor community, ranking market share and advisor satisfaction.
The survey should take 20 minutes or less to complete, and based on many conversations with wealthtech executives, I can tell you they take this survey very seriously.
Please send us your thoughts and suggestions, as well as your questions for the experts!
Find us on LinkedIn and other social media, where you can easily share our content with your friends and colleagues.
Have a great week!
Larry Roth, CEO
Wealth Solutions Report